Friday, November 20, 2020

Thanksgiving

Dear Families, 

Thanksgiving is a time when we reflect upon all that we are grateful for. Among the myriad blessings for which I am incredibly grateful, including family, friends, good health, good humor and a rewarding job, I am thankful for your resiliency, creativity and generosity. 

In addition to turning your lives upside down so that you could teach your children at home in ways you never had to before, so many of you have also donated additional time and money to help those in greatest need. 

You have donated to FOW, to the school directly and/or to our Venmo safety net for families @WalgroveCares. 

You have taken others into your educational pods. 

You have supported teahers on their journey to relearn virtually every aspect of their job. 

You have demonstrated for your children how to be kind in times of strife. 

Thank you for your generosity and kindness. 

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving week full of fresh air and laughter. 

Please know that I have encouraged teachers to step away from work and not check their emails during the coming week. They will be poised and ready to respond to emails Monday, November 30 and beyond. As you know, so many of our teachers are also parents. I would love for them to have much time with their families. 

If you have any needs, concerns or emergencies, you may reach out to me. I will be in town hunkered down with books and movies and my small collection of ukuleles. 

I will sing a song for you and your amazing chilren who have been so remarkable throughout this whole experience. I have been so inspired by your kiddos and their ability to thrive in any milieu. Zoom schmoom, so many of them say. They just roll with it like it's totally normal. 

I have decided that our kids are like the plants on my balcony who have been moved without their consent from the rich soil of a vast landscape to a small pot on an urban balcony without stopping to lament the difference. Just as the potted succulents on my balcony reach for each other from their version of Zoom squares, our kiddos do too. They simply find ways to connect despite everything. 

I will think of them and you and our amazing teachers and staff throughout this coming week. 


May you all have a blessed week. 

Sincerely, 

Dr. K